Who doesn’t love a success story? I mean, some of my favorites are Sarah Blakely, the founder of Spanx, Oprah Winfrey and Richard Branson of the Virgin Group. These are true hard work and grit stories — stories of people believing in themselves far more than anyone else did.
You know what these stories aren’t?
The reason these success stories are so potent and powerful is because they’re true. These stories have played out before our eyes and we’ve seen their successes come to fruition.
Stories like this are powerful, potent and almost irresistible. We remember them. We retell them. We secretly anchor our hopes and dreams that someday we, too, can have a success story like that.
So let’s look at what makes these stories so powerful, and how we can create compelling stories that are authentic to us.
Biggest Show Takeaways
- If you really want to dig into the origins of this type of story I highly recommend Christopher Booker’s epic 700+ page book on storytelling, The 7 Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories.
- The Rags to Riches story is plot #2. This is a story type that has been around for as long as humans have been telling stories. In fact, it’s a story you’ve seen play out on screens big and small for your whole life.
- Aladdin: The street rat who finds a genie in a bottle and ends up becoming the all-powerful Sultan of Aggraba.
- Annie: The orphan who lived with the vile Mrs. Hannigan and through a series of events wound up being adopted by billionaire Daddy Warbucks.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Charlie buys a candy bar and gets the last golden ticket.
- These are stories we know and gravitate towards. We love to hear them because they give us hope. They help us find that grit and determination in ourselves. They show us that yes, anything is possible.
- Social psychologists have found that we are literally WIRED for these stories, especially as entrepreneurs. A lot of research has been done to help explain why we never grow tired of hearing about an entrepreneurs' rise from poverty.
- For many people, struggle makes our life stories more interesting for others to hear. We’ve been conditioned through stories and upbringing to believe that the best things in life are products of hard work, perseverance and struggle.
- As humans, we like stories with a big pot of gold at the end, a satisfying resolution showing us that the struggle and sacrifice is worthwhile. We hang on every word, wanting to know how the story ends because their journey has been public.
- With some of our favorite celebrities and athletes, we know how the story ends. But for entrepreneurs, that struggle is typically hidden and secret. And the payoff is too.
- As humans we’re wired for this type of story so a lot of unsavory entrepreneurs come up with their own fake rags-to-riches story that plays into the formula and hits your brain with that dopamine payoff at the end. The only problem is that it’s mostly (or ALL) made up.
- If you have a rags-to-riches story that is real, by all means share it. But if you don’t, please don’t make one up.
- Instead, look for stories all around you:
- You can share rants about things that have happened to you either online or in your local community.
- You can share something interesting you learned from an interaction you had with a friend, client or even family member.
- You can share an a-ha you’ve had or a mistake you’ve made.
- You can share a great memory and how it connects to the here and now.
- You can share stories of how you’ve helped others with your work.
- There are stories happening all around us every single day. Your experiences are worth telling — don’t short sell your audience by trying to fit into a story formula that doesn’t match who you are and the journey you’re on.
- When you have a story that is uniquely yours, not a formulaic copy that someone else told you to write, you will attract people who are the right fit for you to grow your business.
- Profit Without Worry means telling your stories in the way that works for you and your audience, not following the ‘you’ve gotta have a rags-to-riches story’ formula.
Create Profit Without Worry – one system at a time. I’ll show you how to attract a steady flow of buyers without all the hustle with this free download → 5 Steps To Profit Without Worry.
Links mentioned in this episode: