Ever wondered how the heck you hook your audience with content they can’t wait to get? How to write emails that zing their heart? How to inspire excitement, action, ideas, and engagement with your content?
You want to create content that makes your audience WANT what you have and that works FOR you instead of just churning out thing after thing after thing.
Have you ever heard the quote “A confused mind always says NO”? I first heard it from Marie Forleo, and I thought, yeah, that’s right.
When we’re confused in our lives and our business, it is EXTREMELY hard to make a decision because we don’t know where it will lead.
We wonder if it’s the right decision. We second guess the situation and worry about whether we have all the information we need or if we’re asking the right questions. We question if what we’re thinking of doing will even help us and sometimes can’t even decide if we actually care at all.
Your audience — your future clients, customers, and buyers — feel the same way.
So, I heard that quote from Marie Forleo, then I went about my day creating content that nobody wanted (while wondering why nobody wanted my content). Clearly, I felt like that quote couldn’t POSSIBLY be talking about ME and MY content. I couldn’t POSSIBLY be confusing, could I?
But the fact remained that people were NOT paying attention to my content.
I asked a couple of friends and clients for some feedback, and I quickly discovered that YES, I was confusing the heck out of people. And what was even worse was that these friends and clients didn’t really understand my freebies, my blog posts, or my videos. They didn’t see how this content I poured my blood, sweat, and brain into would help them.
That was NOT a good feeling but WOW was it valuable feedback. Once I realized that yes, I was confusing the heck out of my audience, I was able to stop the crazy stuff that was confusing them and instead focus on a really simple, clear message and stories to support my message.
These shifts I made are so simple, doable, and super effective. You don’t have to be a writer or a content creation machine to do this.
Let’s dive into this a little deeper.
Biggest Show Takeaways:
- There are the two things I had to understand to create better content.
- #1: Be crystal clear on WHY people want what you offer.
- # 2: Tell clear stories to build belief and desire in your audience.
- One question people always have about content is they want to know how to use their content to make people buy whatever they’re selling. But the truth is, you can’t create desire. It’s nearly impossible to MAKE someone buy your thing.
- The people you want to sell your offer to have desires all day. As business owners, it is our job to figure out how to communicate that we have the offer they’re looking for.
- The key is to understand your customer so well that you KNOW what matters most to them. You need to speak directly to their already existing desire.
- With my own business, and with my students and my clients, we use the Funnel Persuasion Playbook to get super clear on what people really desire.
- #1. Be crystal clear on WHY people want what you offer.
- I struggled for a long time with the idea that I needed to be big and fancy and spend a ton of money to be successful. This was a MASSIVE blocker for me for a very long time.
- The secret was to find one SPECIFIC problem I could help my audience with and then really serve them.
- It was much more powerful to understand my audience and what they’re struggling with because even with the best tools, team, and design out there, without knowing my audience and what they’re struggling with and dreaming of, no amount of fancy marketing will get them to buy.
- Without knowing a specific PROBLEM your audience has and the TRANSFORMATION they truly desire, you’ll end up creating a big old mess.
- What really matters? Knowing their pain, discovering their desire, and being CRYSTAL CLEAR on WHY your offer will solve their pain and give them what they really want.
- If people aren’t engaging with your content, I can pretty much guarantee that it’s because you aren’t crystal clear on their big desires.
- # 2: Tell clear stories to build belief and desire in your audience
- Doing this makes attracting the audience YOU want so much easier, enjoyable, and almost automatic.
- Figure out their pains and share stories about overcoming those pains yourself or with clients and students.
- Figure out their fears and share stories about how you or your clients have struggled with those same fears and overcame them.
- Figure out their desires and share stories, examples and more about how you’ve helped yourself and/or your clients achieve these same desires.
- These stories you share will have an emotional impact and people will think it sounds just like them or that they need what you have.
- Stories will connect you to your audience in a way that is truly magical. It’s human nature to share stories.
- People prefer to believe what they discover for themselves (through your marketing funnel experience and the stories you share) — not the facts and features you tell them.
- All of us are absolutely BOMBARDED with useless information, but thankfully, our subconscious minds are able to filter out 99% of that information so that we’re not overwhelmed. Yet one thing ALL humans have a hard time ignoring is a good story.
- If you want to get people to take action and engage in your marketing funnel, tell them a story and help them see themselves in the stories you share. That’s when they’ll discover a new belief in themselves, in you, and in your offer.
- Want to know which marketing funnel is right for you and your business? Take this free and easy quiz, and in less than 5 minutes you’ll know EXACTLY which funnel is right for you.